When you take any type of medication you will surely want to know about its effects. However, more than the effects, you will need to know the pros and cons of using the specific medicine and Strattera is no exception. This is a specifically designed medicine that will treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD.
It is likely that till now you may have used medicines, or to be more specific you may have taken different types of stimulants such as:
- Ritalin, or
Well, it is true that these types of medicines are useful to reduce impulsiveness and inattentiveness most effectively and efficiently. However, in most of the cases and for many of the patients, these may not be an option that is easily available and convenient for them.
Why? This is because most people refrain from using stimulants to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder because they are worried about the side effects of it. Typically, in most of the users stimulants can produce a few common side effects such as:
- Irritability and
- Loss of appetite.
In addition to that, there are also a few other problems that may keep them away such as the increased risk of developing cardiovascular issues. It may also interference with other medications, supplements taken on a daily basis as well as other medical conditions at the same time.
In comes Strattera
Strattera or Atomoxetine is the answer to all these. It is a medication that is essentially non-stimulant in nature.
- This is the strongest reason that it is also approved by the FDA and is recommended to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms in adults, children, and even in the adolescents.
- The medication has proven to be the most effective for several users but just as with all other medicines and stimulants, Strattera too has its side effects but that is only in case you overdose with it. However, this does not prevent people from taking it.
Just as it is with all types of medications, you must weigh the pros and cons of this medication as well before you take it. Even better, you talk about this treatment option with your doctor.
The Benefits of Strattera
Ideally, all stimulant medications are controlled substances or Schedule II medications. That means:
- The federal government will have a control and regulate how the medicine is prepared, prescribed, and dispensed.
- It is required that your doctor writes a prescription for it every month and you must take it and present this written prescription to the pharmacy.
Since the doctor cannot call in the medication, it may be inconvenient for several users.
- However, in case of Strattera, since it is not a controlled substance, you can get a prescription for it from your doctor for more than 30 days.
- On the other hand, your doctor can even call up the pharmacy in order to fill or refill your prescription.
This will save you from the hassle and cost of making a trip to the doctor’s office every month.
Few other benefits
Apart from the above benefit of using Strattera, it does not have any abuse potential and therefore cannot be considered as an addictive substance. That means when you consume it you will never get a euphoric feeling or make you ‘high.’ This is a very significant benefit for those adults and adolescents who are prone to addiction or substance abuse because this medication will prove to be a much better alternative to those stimulant medications for them.
- If you take this medication as directed it will provide you with a relief from the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms for about 24 hours. That is a big relief for the parents as their children can now be able to complete their homework in the evening or even in the mornings knowing that the medication is still working. This will prevent the situation from becoming a daily power struggle.
- Strattera is known to have a few antidepressant properties in it as well. This is typically helpful for patients who suffer from depression and anxiety as well as have symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. When such patients take any stimulant medications they usually need an additional medication along with it to get relief from those depressive symptoms. When they use Strattera, such things are not required.
- It is also very helpful for urinary retention which is especially helpful for those children experiencing nocturnal enuresis or bed wetting, though it is not recommended to use Strattera especially for this reason but treat it as an additional benefit for children used to bed wetting.
All these benefits provided by this unique medication make it a better choice for people suffering from Tourette’s syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. They often look for it on offline as well as on online stores such as RXShopMD.com because Strattera does not aggravate tics.
Strattera also have some downsides and side effects just as all medications. Your prescription may come with a warning about a potential for suicide when you use this medicine, especially for children and teens. A few other side effects of this medication on children and teens may include:
- Stomach upset
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Dizziness and daytime sleepiness
- Mood swings
- Increased heart rate and
- Blood pressure
As for the adults, the most common side effects noticed are:
- Dry mouth
- Problems or pain when urinating and
- Increased menstrual flow and cramps.
There is another significant downside of this medicine. It takes almost three to four weeks by this medicine to treat ADHD symptoms to reach full effectiveness with its sustained use. This means that there is a high chance that people may start taking this medicine, not see quick results, get frustrated and give up before it can actually start working on the patient.
Lastly, few users have reported to have sexual side effects from Strattera such as decreased sex drive, impotence and ejaculation volume, or even incapacity to ejaculate and painful erections. Lowering dosage can sometimes alleviate such side effects.