Fat transfer is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that uses your body fat to enhance your breasts, butt, lips, or other body parts. Plastic surgeons, through fat surgeries, take fat from one area of your body and inject it into a different area to help provide you with a more youthful look and repair scars. Fat transfer procedures are sometimes referred to as fat injections, autologous fat transfer, fat grafting, or lipofilling. In this post, we will tell you all you need to know about fat transfer Scarsdale.
Why is a Fat Transfer Procedure Done?
The main purpose of fat injections is to fill in or enhance certain areas of your body that have low volume. With fat transfers, you need to have an adequate fat donor area from which it can be extracted and added to your targeted areas. Below are some of the main reasons why fat transfer procedures are carried out:
- Add volume to your breast and buttock
- Correct depression in your skin after scarring and liposuction
- Hide visible signs of breast implants for breast reconstruction and fill in contour irregularities.
- Improve your self-confidence and self-image
- Redistribute unwanted fat
- Get more natural, permanent results compared to temporary fillers
- Rejuvenate your lips, face, and hands
- Lower risk of allergic reactions to foreign substances by using your own body’s fat
Who Are The Perfect Candidates for Fat Transfers?
Before undergoing any fat grafting procedure, it is always advisable to consult your aesthetic plastic surgeon, who will help determine if fat transfers suit you. Below are some of the things you need to know before your fat grafting procedure:
- They are not suitable for people with any blood circulation problems
- You must be in overall good health
- While fat grafting results last longer compared to dermal fillers, fat grafting is more expensive.
- You should avoid smoking, as it slows the recovery process and potentially increases the risk of health complications.
- Your healing time will vary depending on the amount of fat extracted and the number of liposuction areas.
- For best augmentation results, you may undergo several fat grafting procedures.
Before the fat transfer procedure, your healthcare provider will give you instructions on how to prepare well for your procedure. These instructions may include the following:
Ø Drink plenty of water
Ø Avoid herbal supplements
Ø Do not take ibuprofen or aspirin
Ø Stop smoking
Before the procedure, you will also be given local anesthesia, where you will be awake during the entire procedure and will not feel any pain. You might also be given general anesthesia, where you will sleep the entire procedure. The latter is recommended if you have several cosmetic surgeries simultaneously or if the treated site is larger.
What happens during fat transfer surgery?
Generally, fat grafting procedures can take anywhere from one hour to about four hours. The amount of time taken usually depends on the surgical procedure. For instance, breast fat transfers can take four hours, while lip fat transfers take about one hour. During the procedure, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will use liposuction to eliminate excess fat from one part of your body. Purify the extracted fat and inject it in small droplets into the targeted area. After the treatment, it is normal to experience some side effects such as soreness, bruising, swelling, or tenderness in the treated area and donor area.
Robert M. Schwarcz, MD, is a board-certified aesthetics specialist and cosmetic surgeon who is best known for achieving satisfactory body appearance results. With locations in Scarsdale and New York City, Dr. Schwarcz and his team of well-skilled medical experts use the latest technologies in cosmetic surgery to ensure you get natural results and reduced recovery periods. Get started today and book an appointment online or call our offices at 914-363-8644.